Happy New Year



So another year rolls around and like the last one it's snowy again. Work for a trail builder in these new "climate changed" winters is interesting! Basically it's chase around clients that had said "no rush - just when you can fit it in" and hope they're still interested. Luckily there are a few leads out there, and if the weather where they are just lets me in to survey the ground, then feasibilty studies can progress regardless of the Highlands snow cover.
I've said it before, but I'm a winter person, I like hard, snowy winters, preferably with a good dollop of snow on the mountains. Skiing, climbing, winter hill walking are all good things and someone who just relies on cycling for their everyday escape would be in trouble living up here. However.... I really enjoyed getting race fit last year, but I didn't start that until the skiing was out of my system i.e. mid March. So with the challenge of some "tweeters" I'm going to try and do 30 rides in 30 days, each ride must be at least 1 hour and with present weather conditions some of that's going to have to be done on the turbo (but not if I can help it)
After that, well it'd be rude not to carry on with training and if time allows enter a few more races this year. Being self employed and having a busy family life means races would need to be very carefully picked and ideally I'd rather not drive for 4 hours for a one and a half hour race (this doesn't apply to the 3 Peaks cyclo-cross race which I will hopefully do again) so I'll be looking at what's closer to home, whether its road or mtb.
Time to join a club, get a race license, and start highlighting the calendar.

Comments

Popular Posts