Summer 2019 Round Up.

A funny old summer that was, yes, I know, it's not over yet, but kids going back to school kinda means it's a change of season to me. 
The last few summers have been dominated (although I try not to let it be) by training for the 3 Peaks cyclocross race and this is how this spring started again. Lots of long road rides, actually 'gravel' road rides as we're spoiled for that up here. Then into my structured training schedule figured out by David Lines of Espresso Cycle Coaching. Davie had studied the data and decided we should work in the initial stages training on low down power and torque, cue many, many repeats of our nearby big climb - the Burma road, all done in a higher gear than comfortable and at low revs. As it was still only April at this point, some of these reps were done into the snow, with studded tyres fitted and winter gloves, this was just about doable - not pleasant, just bearable. These sessions were hard, but even outside in the wintery weather, were still preferable to the indoor trainer. Eventually, shorter higher power hill repeats were added which had me scouting around our nearby hills to find two to three minute climbs, definitely a different way of using Strava! So, all in all, things going nicely, power numbers higher than previous years, weight coming down (always a 3Peaks 'thing') family life not too affected and we (Davie and me) had planned that during my upcoming summer hols in Italy I would switch to running which uses less time and can be done early morning before anyone wakes up i.e. minimal family impact. The 3Peaks has a brutal start climb that favours the fell runners, so upping my running game was no bad thing. 
But.
The doubts were setting in as I left for Italy, no entry confirmation email, this meant I was now waiting for a reserve place. I put the entry doubts to the back of my mind, enjoyed the holiday and bagged some cracking hill runs on the steep mountain tracks that climb up and away from the shores of Lake Como into the surrounding hills. I was really enjoying the runs, hard sweaty work, but really good for the head, just concentrating on foot placement on the rocky trails, no external thoughts and no 'faff' getting out, just shorts, a running top and trainers, on the trails in under 5 mins, back before breakfast, easy. 
As the holidays came to a close, I had to push the organisers for an answer, was I in or not? I know they say not to contact them (they're obviously very busy) but I had to start making some serious decisions - do I keep training 'just in case' or did I have to face up to the fact I just wasn't getting in. The reply came that the last sixteen places had been handed out and I wasn't one of them.
Gutted.
I must admit I had been fairly relaxed about getting in, I thought a 3.31hr time would defo see me being pre-selected. There was a slim chance that there might be some last minute cancellations opening up some spare slots, but with my work / family / life balance, I couldn't keep making sacrifices on a 'maybe'. 
So I had to let it go.
Bowing out of this marvellous race with a sub 3.30 was not going to be - and I doubt it ever will now. 
I'll admit, not getting in really hit me hard, I've always found that if you really want something, then hard work, determination and Just. Not. Giving. In. Usually wins the prize. Anyone reading this know my military days? You'll know what we went through...
But to just not get in felt like someone felt I wasn't worthy of a race entry - I took that personally. 
Months of training down the drain, I briefly considered focussing on the upcoming cyclocross season, but a quick check of the calendar showed the first 3 races all clashed with my kids mountainbike club training days and there's no way I was causing them to miss that, they are loving riding their bikes at the mo. 
Actually it was my kids that helped me get over it all, with them saying just to get out and ride with them more  - "we'll help you ride better dad" - cheeky buggers!  
Riding through the rest of their summer hols with them was a revelation, their utter conviction to ride anything and their determination that I could do it too, slowly rubbed off (a little bit) on me and eventually I was clearing drop-offs I would never have even attempted at the start of summer. To ride trails with them that previously I was having to go round the 'gnarly' bits was a hugely enjoyable experience and we could now 'train' it down trails, albeit with me at the back! 
Took ages for me to get over this drop-off, but Fergs wouldn't give up on me! 
This ones a little trickier...

The kids are back at school now, all is quiet in the house and the missus and I get back to our 'normal' routine. Mountainbike trail design work is drying up with the looming nightmare of you-know-what in late October. Therefore, I am focussing (sorry) on my photographic business which is probably a more viable long term prospect with expensive trail build budgets relying on a cash strapped government and the disappearing Euro funding.
But cheers Italy, you were beautiful.




















Comments

Popular Posts